Friday, February 8, 2013

Mexican Style Quinoa Salad


Last week I attended an event to learn about Whole Foods, Culturing and Natural Cleaners.
You can read about my experience from my fitness blog called Fierce Body.

The best part was actually sampling the healthy foods they raved about!

One of the ladies brought Raw Chocolate Balls & Raw Peanut Butter Balls.
Both UHHmazing!  I can't wait to share those recipes with you.

She also made a batch of Mexican Style Quinoa.
I think this was my favorite.  I love mexican food so of course it was very tasty!
I love the flavors from the dressing.  It's very important to allow the 
dressing to get soaked up into the salad to help enhance the flavors!

I made this dish for my husband and I AND he LOVED it.
We both had 2 helpings :)

Enjoy!

Not sure what Quinoa is?? You can find out HERE.

Source: home-madehealth.blogspot.com

Ingredients:
makes 5-6 servings

Salad:
1 c uncooked quinoa
1 c diced red/green peppers
2 green onions
1/3 chopped cilantro
1 can black beans, rinsed
2 cooked Med/Lg chicken breasts, shredded
1 small avocado, diced

Dressing:
In a bowl, combine:
2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
juice of 1 lime
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 t cumin
1/4 t chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2-3/4 t sea salt


Instructions:
  1. Cook quinoa (If using a rice cooker, use 2 c water).
  2. Once quinoa is cooled, put in a medium bowl and add the rest of salad ingredients (except for avocado).
  3. Combine dressing ingredients and toss with salad.
  4. Chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
  5. Add diced avocado right before serving.


1 comment:

  1. I'm putting this on my menu list for this coming week!!

    ReplyDelete