My husband and I DEVOURED this dish.
I've always been okay with Shepard's Pie because it's a nice comfort food.
But THIS dish blows any ordinary Shepard's Pie dish out of the water!
The sweet potatoes add a nice sweetness to the savory dish.
I love to add fresh spinach to most of my dishes: soup, casseroles, omelets etc.
Because you cook them in and you don't even know that they're there.
I also love the zucchini in this dish. It just adds a bit of color to the dish.
Really, you can add any vegetables you want to the meat: carrots, onions, diced tomatoes etc.
So have fun with it and make it your own :)
makes 6 servings
1 head of cauliflower, chopped
1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
2 Tbsp coconut oil, or butter
1.5 lbs lean ground beef
2 handfuls of fresh spinach, chopped
1/2 med zucchini, diced
1/3 c tomato paste
1 tsp cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1/3 c beef broth
sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Steam or boil cauliflower and sweet potato. Allow to cool when done, mash in 2 tbsp of coconut oil or butter. Set aside.
- In a large fry pan, brown and drain ground beef, add spinach and zucchini. Cook down vegetables.
- Stir in 1/3 c tomato paste, 1 tsp cider vinegar, 1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard, 1/3 c beef broth and sea salt and pepper (for taste).
- Grab an 8 x 8 pan (greased), Fill the bottom with meat mixture, then layer on the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.