Monday, November 26, 2012

Pumpkin Pie with Pecan Streusel


I love the traditional pumpkin pie but I like to change it up a bit for Thanksgiving.

My mom would always try something a bit different each year which I liked because 
I LOVED everything my mom would make each Thanksgiving and plus I'm not a picky eater.  

So if the stuffing had apples or sausage that year then I would gladly eat it.  
Everything Thanksgiving was delicious in the Martin home!

The other day I was watching Bobby Flay's Throwdown episode for Pumpkin Pie.  His opponent (Michele Albano) made a pumpkin pie with pecan streusel.  I was sold right away because I love pecans AND this year I was in charge of baking the pies and I wanted DELICIOUS pies.  

The only ingredient I wasn't happy with was the Maple syrup.  I didn't want to go out and buy a $16 bottle, so instead I just used regular syrup which works perfectly fine as well. 


source: Michele Albano

Ingredients:

1 frozen, unbaked deep dish pie crust (9")
  • 2 cups pumpkin puree
  • 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 c firmly packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/4 c heavy cream
  • 1 c Grade B maple syrup*
  • 3 large eggs, beaten
Streusel Topping
  • 3/4 c pecans, chopped
  • 1/4 c firmly packed dark brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, diced, cold
*I used regular pancake syrup

Instructions
  1. For the pecan streusel, toss 3/4 c pecans, 1/4 c dark brown sugar, 2 Tbsp flour and 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon.
  2. Dice 2 Tbsp butter and add butter using finger tips to blend it into the pecan mix, until mixture forms small clumps.  Set aside.
  3. For pie filling, beat 2 c pumpkin puree, 2 Tbsp flour, 1/3 c brown sugar, 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg, 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon and 1/2 tsp salt.
  4. Add 1 1/4 c heavy cream and 1 c maple syrup.  Beat in 3 eggs.
  5. Pour mixture into 9" deep dish pie crust.
  6. Bake in 425 degree oven for 15 minutes.  Turn down oven to 350 degrees and bake for additional 30 minutes.
  7. Take out pie and crumble pecan streusel on top and bake for 12 minutes.
  8. Cool completely on wire rack and SERVE!


Instructions with pictures
For the pecan streusel, toss 3/4 c pecans, 1/4 c dark brown sugar, 
2 Tbsp flour and 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon.

Dice 2 Tbsp butter and add butter using finger tips to blend 

it into the pecan mix, until mixture forms small clumps.  Set aside.

For pie filling, beat 2 c pumpkin puree, 2 Tbsp flour, 1/3 c brown sugar, 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg, 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon and 1/2 tsp salt.
Add 1 1/4 c heavy cream and 1 c maple syrup.  Beat in 3 eggs.

Pour mixture into 9" deep dish pie crust.
Bake in 425 degree oven for 15 minutes.  
Turn down oven to 350 degrees and bake for additional 30 minutes.


Take out pie and crumble pecan streusel on top and bake for 12 minutes.
Cool completely on wire rack and SERVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment