I love making homemade Stromboli.
This really is an easy recipe. Anyone can do this.
The hard part (as always) with bread is waiting for the dough to rise.
The dough needs to rise for approximately 45 minutes. So make
sure you do plan ahead for this recipe but after that, it's smooth sailing.
And you can put any toppings you like in your Stromboli,
such as ham and cheese, spinach and cheese or broccoli and cheese.
It's up to you. But I personally am in love with the traditional Pizza Stromboli.
makes 1 large stromboli
1 c warm water
1 pkg. dry active yeast
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 Tbsp sugar
3 c all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Add pkg of dry active yeast in medium mixing bowl. Add 1 c warm water. Mix well until yeast is dissolved.
- Add 1 Tbsp canola oil, 1 Tbsp sugar, 1 tsp salt and 3 c flour.
- Stir with a for. Knead dough with hands or dough hook, about 8 minutes.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap tightly and let rise, about 45 minutes.
- Roll dough into a large rectangle.
- Fill with desired amounts of pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese and pepperoni.
- Roll dough like a jelly roll. Carefully transfer to large baking sheet. (you may need a hand with this, my husband has to help me.)
- After rolled and transferred, Fold ends underneath.
- Whisk two egg whites and brush over dough (for a nice golden/crispy finish out of the oven).
- Bake for 35 minutes or until outside is golden brown.
- Serve with pizza sauce to dip in.