Thursday, March 7, 2013

Chocolate-Sour Cream Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting


Thursday night I was in a baking MOOD! 
And usually when I'm in a baking mood I like to challenge myself.
Cupcakes are challenging to me because I've had some recipes totally fail on me.
Also I never know how much to fill the cupcake liners---most times they overflow and bake flat :(

So I bought a cupcake scooper that has made my cupcakes the PERFECT height!
You can find the scooper HERE

I either level it of with a knife or scrape it against the side to the level off the scooper, 
so that ALL of my cupcakes come out at the same height.

That scooper has made making cupcakes SOOOO much easier!

AND----the cupcakes are DELICIOUS!

Who doesn't love cream cheese frosting?

It's my favorite!

Ingredients:
makes 24 cupcakes

Cupcakes:
2 c all-purpose flour
2/3 c unsweetened baking cocoa
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 c butter or shortening
1 1/2 c sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
1 c water


Cream Cheese Frosting:
frosts 24 cupcakes (about 2 1/2 c)

1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/4 c butter or margarine, softened
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp milk
4 c powdered sugar


Instructions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. whisk 2 c flour, 2/3 c baking cocoa, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp baking powder in a medium bowl.  Set aside.
  3. Beat 3/4 c butter (or shortening) and 1 1/2 c sugar.  Beat 2 minutes.
  4. Add 2 eggs, 1/2 c sour cream and 1 tsp vanilla.
  5. Add flour mixture to bowl, alternating with 1 c water.
  6. Beat until well mixed.
  7. Add cupcake liners to cupcake/muffin pan.  Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full.
  8. Bake 20-25 minutes.  Cool in pans for 5 minutes.  Allow to completely cool on cooling rack.


Frosting: 

  1. Beat 1 pkg cream cheese, 1/4 c butter, 1 tsp vanilla and 2 tsp milk.  
  2. Add 4 c powdered sugar, 1 c at a time.  
  3. Beat until well mixed.
  4. Frost cupcakes when they're completely cooled.













No comments:

Post a Comment