Friday, March 22, 2013

Sweet Potato & Veggie Lasagna



A couple weeks ago I watched a documentary on Netflix called The Engine 2 Kitchen Rescue
I heard about it on a Podcast called Fat 2 Fit (highly recommend checking it out, it may be my new favorite podcast!)

Anyway, the documentary is about this guy going into 2 family's homes to help them weed out the "bad foods" in their kitchen.  He's all about plant-based food.  So no meats!  
I love meat so I can't agree on that one but also for other reasons.

He made a Sweet Potato Lasagna.  I couldn't wait to make it because it looked so good!
However, I made some changes!  He uses Tofu.  I really don't like tofu.  It doesn't taste like anything.
So instead, I added some ground turkey.  He uses some vegetables that I opted out of (tomatoes & mushrooms).  Plus my husband is not too keen on either of those veggies and I'm not a huge fan either.
And I added some cheese on top of my lasagna, he added chopped cashews.  
Anywho, here's the ORIGINAL recipe.

All in all,  We really enjoyed this recipe.  Cooking for 2...haha I had a ton of leftovers and therefore was eating this all week at work for lunch.  But I couldn't complain cause it's quite yummy!

If you are trying to eat gluten free, you can totally take out the noodles 
and it would taste just as delicious.  It would just be a sweet potato casserole instead---I've tried both ways and I may like the casserole version better---I'm not a huge pasta eater.



Ingredients:

1 head of broccoli, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 tsp rosemary
1 1/2 jars of pasta sauce
whole grain lasagna noodles, uncooked
16 oz frozen spinach, drained and thawed
2 sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
1 lb ground turkey, browned
shredded cheese & parmesan cheese, to sprinkle on top


Instructions:

  1. In a pan, heat chopped broccoli, carrots and bell peppers, about 5 minutes. set aside
  2. In a medium bowl, mix broccoli, carrots, bell peppers and 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp basil and 1 tsp rosemary.
  3. In a 9 x 13 dish, cover the bottom with a layer of pasta sauce, then layer with lasagna noodles. 
  4. Cover noodles with sauce.  Layer vegetable mixture on top of sauced noodles.
  5. Cover with vegetable mixture with layer of noodles. Layer sauce on top of the noodles.
  6. Layer the spinach on top of the sauced noodles.
  7. Next layer with cooked ground turkey.
  8. Layer the mashed sweet potatoes on top of the ground meat.
  9. Layer the top with sauce, add shredded cheese and parmesan cheese on top for the finishing touch.
  10. Cover baking dish with foil.
  11. Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.  Remove foil bake for additional 15 minutes.
  12. Allow dish to set for 15 minutes before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment